Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

Wanted to make sure I had all the latest Security & installed applications updates. Based on some recent threads on this list it looked like Aptitude was the tool to use.

I'm a total newbie ... downloaded and successfully installed my very first Debian OS a month of so ago and thought I should try and make sure I have all the latest updates ... my preference is for using a GUI and not command line and so I have been using Gnome ... I logged in as usual opened a terminal window typed "aptitude" for the very first time ... read what I thought I needed to from the online manual ...

I hit a "u" to make sure I had the latest list of available updates ... made sure the cursor was on "Security Updates" then hit "g" to install the updates ... it showed me a list of updates and I hit "g" again to install the updates ... after it download many many many things and asked me many questions and gave some dire warnings, to which I accepted whatever default presented itself ... I rebooted and now no gnome and when I type it at a command line I get an error saying that it can't find gnome .... aaaaggghh!

Now it looks like I'll have to re-install the OS ... aaaggghh ...!!!

What is the simplest and easiest way to make sure that I keep everything update?

Help,

Jan

Checked by AVG Free Edition.