Re: Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:10:55AM -0400, Jan Sneep wrote:
> Wanted to make sure I had all the latest Security & installed
> applications updates. Based on some recent threads on this list it looked
> like Aptitude was the tool to use.
>
> I'm a total newbie ... downloaded and successfully installed my very first
> Debian OS a month of so ago and thought I should try and make sure I have
> all the latest updates ... my preference is for using a GUI and not command
> line and so I have been using Gnome ... I logged in as usual opened a
> terminal window typed "aptitude" for the very first time ... read what I
> thought I needed to from the online manual ...

Probably should have read the _whole_ manual...

Yes, aptitude is the tool to use.  However, if you read all the recent
threads on aptitude you'll see that the _first_ time you use it, you
need to get your options set (e.g. not including recommends as strong
depends) and go through the list of packages you have installed and
setting up the Automatic vs Manual flags.

> questions and gave some dire warnings, to which I accepted whatever default
> presented itself ... I rebooted and now no gnome and when I type it at a
> command line I get an error saying that it can't find gnome .... aaaaggghh!
>
> Now it looks like I'll have to re-install the OS ... aaaggghh ...!!!

If you can boot, get on the internet, and run aptitude, you don't need
to reinstall.  Follow the above instructions re aptitude, then find
gnome, select that for installation, then hit g.  It will reinstall your
gnome.

Take it one major app at a time.  Gnome is a seriously _major_ app.

Good luck.

Doug.