Re: Newbie Aptitude Question about Security Updates

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:10:55AM -0400, Jan Sneep <jan@azureservices.ca> was heard to say:
> I'm a total newbie ... downloaded and successfully installed my very first
> Debian OS a month of so ago and thought I should try and make sure I have
> all the latest updates ... my preference is for using a GUI and not command
> line and so I have been using Gnome ... I logged in as usual opened a
> terminal window typed "aptitude" for the very first time ... read what I
> thought I needed to from the online manual ...

  aptitude tells you what it's going to do before it does it.  It's
typically a good idea to read the list of packages it wants to remove. :)
(the same goes for any other package manager)

  Daniel