Re: Problem installing Debian Lenny "Failed to install base system"

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 08:23:10AM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> On 4/21/07, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:08:57PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > > I'm trying to install Debian Lenny on my computer using the CD. (I
> > > burned all 22 CDs, because I'm not hooked to the internet just
> > > yet.) I was running Debian Etch on the computer before.
> > >
> > > I get through the first portion of the installation, including the
> > > partitioning of the hard drive, when the installation crashes.
> > >
> > > The error message I get is:
> > >
> > > Base System Installation Error The debootstra program exited with
> > > an error (return value 1)
> > >
> > > Failed to install the base system The base system installatio into
> > > /target/ failed.
> > >
> > > Is there a way for me to fix this problem? Do I need to download
> > > the ISO for the first CD in the installation again? Should I file
> > > a bug report?
> > >
> > > Its odd that I can't install Debian on a computer that was just
> > > running Debian. :]
> > >
> > > Thanks so much for the help. I'd love to try out the updated
> > > Debian this weekend.
> > >
> > > Scott Huey
> > >

> > Since Etch and Lenny are almost the same at this point in time, this
> > should work for you.
> >
> > Jump to a virtual terminal, and:
> >
> > cd /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts cp etch lenny
> >
> > And continue with the install. Note: This will install Etch by
> > default, with Lenny's sources.list, so when you boot into the newly
> > installed system you may be prompted with some upgrades, which is
> > completely normal.
> >
> > It worked fine for me, but I did it the day after the Lenny
> > installer was released.
> >

> Thank you for that tip Michael.
>
> How do I jump to a virtual terminal?  Should I file a bug report for
> the problem that I am having with the installer?
>
> Scott Huey

The same way you would in a normal Debian environment, Ctrl+Alt+F2.
Alt+=> (Right arrow) should work as well (Ctrl+Alt+=> bring you to your
current TTY+1, and Ctrl+Alt+<= bring you to TTY-1), and the installer logs
are located at TTY4 (Ctrl+Alt+F4 to view the logs).

Ctrl+Alt+F1 is to get back to TTY1 (The Debian installer screen).

Good luck.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative