Re: Problem installing Debian Lenny "Failed to install base system"

Thank you for that tip Michael.

How do I jump to a virtual terminal?
Should I file a bug report for the problem that I am having with the installer?

Scott Huey

On 4/21/07, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:08:57PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian Lenny on my computer using the CD. (I
> burned all 22 CDs, because I'm not hooked to the internet just yet.) I
> was running Debian Etch on the computer before.
>
> I get through the first portion of the installation, including the
> partitioning of the hard drive, when the installation crashes.
>
> The error message I get is:
>
> Base System Installation Error
> The debootstra program exited with an error (return value 1)
>
> Failed to install the base system
> The base system installatio into /target/ failed.
>
> Is there a way for me to fix this problem? Do I need to download the
> ISO for the first CD in the installation again? Should I file a bug
> report?
>
> Its odd that I can't install Debian on a computer that was just
> running Debian. :]
>
> Thanks so much for the help. I'd love to try out the updated Debian
> this weekend.
>
> Scott Huey

Since Etch and Lenny are almost the same at this point in time, this
should work for you.

Jump to a virtual terminal, and:

cd /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts
cp etch lenny

And continue with the install. Note: This will install Etch by default,
with Lenny's sources.list, so when you boot into the newly installed
system you may be prompted with some upgrades, which is completely
normal.

It worked fine for me, but I did it the day after the Lenny installer
was released.

--
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they