How to diagnose backuppc issues?

Hi there,

I installed backuppc to do backups of our servers. For the first three weeks
everything went fine and then suddenly the backups stopped working.
Initially backuppc reported that the ping response time was greater than
20msec and there it stopped the backup of the server. I changed the setting
in /etc/backuppc/config.pl to be 80msec but still the backup kept failing.
This time there is no error message it just stops.

Duing a tcpdump during the backup process shows that a connection is made to
the server being backedup but after about 15 minutes the target server stops
responding. No error is given - nothing.

How should I go about diagnosing this issue?

thanks