SONY DVD RW AW-G170A

Hi,

I cannot boot with this drive. It is IDE/atapi and it works fine with windows. Despite its inexpensive price it was reasonably 'exotic' 6 months ago as it has an 18x write speed, it works fine with windows

OK, this problem has occured with EVERY version of Linux I have tried. The first bit of the startup is OK, but it refuses to mount the DVD drive; *nix all tell me that it must be an 'old' kind of drive' and that I should find a module or make a boot floppy.

well, it isn't an old drive. I cant make a boot floppy as I do not have (a) a floppy drive (b) a working linux system.

The Debian help files tell me that all IDE DVD drives 'should' be fine. Well this one isn't and I cant find a module for it.

Help, I want Debian ! :)

I tried waiting 6 months for it to get fixed but it has not happened.

The system is :-

Intel DP 965 LT board (965 chipset)
Core 2 duo E6600 conroe 2.4 GHz
2GB memory

I see a couple of *similar* problems in the forum, but not the same one.

Please help.

Thanks

(If all else fails tell me the make and model of a $20 DVD rom that WILL boot debian :) )