Re: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 05:45:30PM +0100, Neil Sumner wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I cannot boot with this drive. It is IDE/atapi and it works fine with
> windows. Despite its inexpensive price it was reasonably 'exotic' 6
> months
> ago as it has an 18x write speed, it works fine with windows
>
> OK, this problem has occured with EVERY version of Linux I have tried.
> The
> first bit of the startup is OK, but it refuses to mount the DVD drive;
> *nix
> all tell me that it must be an 'old' kind of drive' and that I should
> find a
> module or make a boot floppy.

can you give us more details on this? specific messages would be best
(hard to do I know, digital photos posted somewhere might work...)

> well, it isn't an old drive. I cant make a boot floppy as I do not have
> (a)
> a floppy drive (b) a working linux system.

chicken and egg.

> The Debian help files tell me that all IDE DVD drives 'should' be fine.
> Well
> this one isn't and I cant find a module for it.
>
> Help, I want Debian ! :)

www.goodbye-microsoft.com

might be in order here.

> I tried waiting 6 months for it to get fixed but it has not happened.

So, you claim no linux version will mount the cd after booting. I
wonder if this isn't in fact a mobo issue or bios issue and not drive
issue. There are now motherboards that will recognise an ide optical
drive, but won't properly boot from them.

Have you tried a live-cd and if so, what were the results?