Re: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 05:45:30PM +0100, Neil Sumner wrote:

> I cannot boot with this drive. It is IDE/atapi and it works fine with
> windows. Despite its inexpensive price it was reasonably 'exotic' 6 months
> ago as it has an 18x write speed, it works fine with windows
>
> OK, this problem has occured with EVERY version of Linux I have tried. The
> first bit of the startup is OK, but it refuses to mount the DVD drive; *nix
> all tell me that it must be an 'old' kind of drive' and that I should find a
> module or make a boot floppy.
>
> well, it isn't an old drive. I cant make a boot floppy as I do not have (a)
> a floppy drive (b) a working linux system.
>
> Help, I want Debian ! :)
>
> (If all else fails tell me the make and model of a $20 DVD rom that WILL
> boot debian :) )

Hi Neil,

First, will the box boot a USB stick?  If so, the installation manual
(which you should read first in any case) gives instructions for making
a bootable USB stick.  There's the short way which gives you a 256 MB
filesystem on the stick even if its a 4 GB stick... the long way gives
you the same filesystem with 4 GB of space... I did the long way.  Once
you have the hd-media stuff on the stick, put the netinst.iso file on
the stick.  This way, you don't even have to burn the CD.

Second,  you can probably get free or cheap a non-burning
(extinguised??) CD drive.

Third,  I use an LG read/burn anything.  It wasn't $20 but it was about
$50 CDN.

All the tools (that run under dos/win) you need to make a bootable
installation system are available in the tools section.  See the
installation manual.

Good luck,

Doug.