Re: Administration (+apt-get dist-upgrade) of 100s of machines

Georgi Alexandrov wrote:
Too much is going on in testing, unstable and experimental but not in
the stable branch.
Mmm I'd say that having less package changes would be more reason to monitor the process instead of just throwing it out there. :P From the look of it there applications that will allow you to do one upgrade on a head machine and then seed apt/debconf with everything it needs to complete the process on the rest of your machines. This seems a bit cleaner to me than simply telling all of your machines to blindly upgrade once a day.

For etch all but the r* updates, which are a lot less frequent, will be security updates. It's probably worth reading the DSA's and deciding if it's worth the upgrade to fix a security issue that may not affect your systems.

Automatic upgrades are also nasty when a disk decides to fail midway and such.. Basically everyone to their own but I wouldn't cron upgrades or dist-upgrades.