Re: Administration (+apt-get dist-upgrade) of 100s of machines

Daniel Palmer wrote:
> Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
>> Ok, but what is the alternative? I find that without dist-upgrade, I
>> end up with a constantly growing number of packages in the
>> "The following packages have been kept back"
>> category.
> Jamming dist-upgrade into a cron job will cause problems when a package
> doesn't upgrade cleanly.. for example mysql is getting upgraded, the
> server will stop and not come back up. Even worse if a kernel upgrade
> doesn't create the initrd correctly.. basically too much is going on and
> someone should be checking on it.

Too much is going on in testing, unstable and experimental but not in
the stable branch. Also, in a stable branch (etch at the moment) upgrade
and dist-upgrade should behave equally. What I mean is that in 99.8% of
 the updates in a stable branch you won't have that kind of problems. Of
course you'll have monitoring system for those 100s of servers and
eventually if anything breaks you'll notice. And it's even easier if
those 100s of machines are nearly identical to have one in the test lab
and first run the updates on it and then on the rest. But it again all
comes down to what you are running, what is important for you and what
are your priorities.

That's just my opinion.

--
regards,
Georgi Alexandrov

key server - pgp.mit.edu :: key id - 0x37B4B3EE
Key fingerprint = E429 BF93 FA67 44E9 B7D4  F89E F990 01C1 37B4 B3EE