Re: Administration (+apt-get dist-upgrade) of 100s of machines

cedric briner wrote:
> Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We have 100s of almost identical machines that need to be kept
>> up-to-date with apt-get dist-upgrade .
> Okay, I'm not an expert but I'll go like this.
>>
>> Having to run apt-get dist-upgrade manually on all of them is just not=

>> working (taking too much man-power) due to having to answer the same
>> Y/N debconf(?) questions over and over again especially about config
>> files.
> That's why you can use debconf database.
> 1st) do an update of one machine
> 2nd) do a debconf-get-selection
> 3nd) save this debconf values and store them in the new host you'd like=

> to update
> 4) run aptitude upgrade or (apt-get update...)
>=20
>> Is there a smarter way? How does one manage many, many debian
>> installations without having to give each one special manual
>> treatment? Ideally I'd like this to be a fully automated operation and=

>> only be notified of any failures in a reliable way.
>> fa
>> Rather than trying to write our own scripts, I've searched the
>> admin::configuring and use::configuring tags and come up with dpsyco,
>> ugrade-system and fai, but they all seem inappropriate to our needs.
> you can use fai with:
> http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Fai-updater give a loo=
> at the screenshot.
> which it's a convenient way of looking what host has been updated.
>=20
> Ced.
>=20

You can use cron-apt. It will do whatever you want, and report again
whatever you want (everything, success only, errors only, nothing, etc ..=
).

Or you can:

for i in `seq 10-150`; do ssh root@10.0.0.$i apt-get update && apt-get
-y dist-upgrade &>/var/log/apt-upgrade.log; done

--=20
regards,
Georgi Alexandrov

key server - pgp.mit.edu :: key id - 0x37B4B3EE
Key fingerprint =3D E429 BF93 FA67 44E9 B7D4  F89E F990 01C1 37B4 B3EE