Re: Administration (+apt-get dist-upgrade) of 100s of machines

Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:
Hi there,

We have 100s of almost identical machines that need to be kept up-to-date with apt-get dist-upgrade .
Okay, I'm not an expert but I'll go like this.

Having to run apt-get dist-upgrade manually on all of them is just not working (taking too much man-power) due to having to answer the same Y/N debconf(?) questions over and over again especially about config files.
That's why you can use debconf database.
1st) do an update of one machine
2nd) do a debconf-get-selection
3nd) save this debconf values and store them in the new host you'd like to update
4) run aptitude upgrade or (apt-get update...)

Is there a smarter way? How does one manage many, many debian installations without having to give each one special manual treatment? Ideally I'd like this to be a fully automated operation and only be notified of any failures in a reliable way.
fa
Rather than trying to write our own scripts, I've searched the admin::configuring and use::configuring tags and come up with dpsyco, ugrade-system and fai, but they all seem inappropriate to our needs.
you can use fai with: http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Fai-updater give a look at the screenshot.
which it's a convenient way of looking what host has been updated.

Ced.

--

Cedric BRINER
Geneva - Switzerland