Re: Complete system freeze from virtual terminals / terminal emulators

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:39:20 -0700, Pat Primate wrote:
>  I have an LG LW40-S3MU1 laptop and I'm new to Debian and I would love to
>  give her a good run, but I have run into a persistant problem. With a fresh
>  install (all software is original Etch 4.0r0 versions) if I open up a
>  virtual terminal / terminal emulator (like konsole) and press one of the
>  arrow keys on my keyboard (e.g., the left arrow key) my entire system will
>  freeze solid!!!! I have to hold the power button down for 4 or 5 seconds to
>  shut it down. The freeze is easily replicated (every single time I try).
>
>  To make this more clear, If I open up Konsole, Yakuake, Xterm, or Eterm
>  (those were the 4 terminal emulators I tried it on) and I press the left
>  arrow key - my entire system freezes completely!!!! The same thing happens
>  if I press the right arrow key, or the down arrow key or the up arrow key.

It seems that the (visual) bell hangs your system. (???)

>  To make matters weirder, if I pres ctrl+alt+F1 to enter one of the tty1
>  sessions (I don't even have to log in) and then press ctrl+alt+F7 to get
>  back to the KDE desktop I can suddenly go into any of the terminal emulation
>  programs and press the arrow keys to my hearts content, without any
>  freezes????

Do you see the terminal window flash or do you hear a beep if you press
one of the arrow keys in this situation? That would at least tell us if
the bell could really be responsible for the hard lock.

I think the main effect of your magic fix (X->tty->X) is that the video
mode of your graphics card gets changed twice. Your initial problem
might therefore be related to an initialization error of the video
hardware, so maybe we should have a closer look at that. Please post the
output of the following three commands:

lspci | egrep -i 'vga|display|video|graphics'

awk '/Section "(Device|Module)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
Regards,
          Florian