Re: Complete system freeze from virtual terminals / terminal emulators

Pat Primate wrote:

> I have an LG LW40-S3MU1 laptop and I'm new to Debian and I would love to
> give her a good run, but I have run into a persistant problem. With a
> fresh install (all software is original Etch 4.0r0 versions) if I open
> up a virtual terminal / terminal emulator (like konsole) and press one
> of the arrow keys on my keyboard (e.g., the left arrow key) my entire
> system will freeze solid!!!! I have to hold the power button down for 4
> or 5 seconds to shut it down. The freeze is easily replicated (every
> single time I try).

When the freeze happens, are you able to ssh into that machine? If so, then
you can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if you find any errors.

Another workaround is to completely disable the graphical environments (KDM
etc.,) and see if you can reproduce the crash in a pure console based
environment. If the console based system does not hang, run startx and see
what errors you are receiving.

BTW, are all your packages up to date? Sometimes when the KDE packages from
different versions are mixed together, strange things can happen.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi