Re: Upgrade to etch kills nntp server authentication

On 4/12/07, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
As either root or user I start gnus and it seems to hang for a while,
but eventually I get the message:

  nnetp (news.snet.sbcglobal.net)
  open error: ''.
  continuue?

If I continue, my subscribed newsgroups are listed, but without any
readable messages. For example:

   * linux.debian.user

Once when I tried to download messages in that group, the group name
was replaced with:

  *: e100: 3th0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full duplex

Actually, that is just the e100 driver reporting that your link is now
up.  It is simply a display thing and the group name is not actually
replaced.  Your connection problem earlier is probably simply because
the ethernet link was not up.

Try reconnecting after the link up message shows.

Could it be that I'm no longer being authenticated to the news server?

I'm forced to work from console because my X server won't start
either because it insists on creating a new authority file
(~/.serverauth.3044) that neither shows up nor works.

--
Kushal