Complete system freeze from virtual terminals / terminal emulators

I have an LG LW40-S3MU1 laptop and I'm new to Debian and I would love to give her a good run, but I have run into a persistant problem. With a fresh install (all software is original Etch 4.0r0 versions) if I open up a virtual terminal / terminal emulator (like konsole) and press one of the arrow keys on my keyboard (e.g., the left arrow key) my entire system will freeze solid!!!! I have to hold the power button down for 4 or 5 seconds to shut it down. The freeze is easily replicated (every single time I try).

To make this more clear, If I open up Konsole, Yakuake, Xterm, or Eterm (those were the 4 terminal emulators I tried it on) and I press the left arrow key - my entire system freezes completely!!!! The same thing happens if I press the right arrow key, or the down arrow key or the up arrow key.

To make matters weirder, if I pres ctrl+alt+F1 to enter one of the tty1 sessions (I don't even have to log in) and then press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to the KDE desktop I can suddenly go into any of the terminal emulation programs and press the arrow keys to my hearts content, without any freezes????

I would of course like to fix this, but I would also like to file a bug report for this. I unfortunately do not know which application to file the bug for, and I do not what/how to dig for more useful debug information.

A post on the Debian-help forums suggested I access my Dmesg log from a live cd after the freeze - I will do that as soon as I have a live cd downloaded.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated

Thank you very much

Pat