fam taking up cpu, do I need it?

Recently, I noticed that fam was taking up quite a bit of my CPU on Debian Testing running 2.6.18 kernel. This happened especially when I was connected to a webdav server and had remote files listed in konqueror. Going through some past list message here and also through google, I concluded I can try just uninstalling it. So far, after removing fam, my system hasn't slowed down as before. So, why would I need fam if having it just causes a problem and not having it apparently hasn't troubled me at all?

->HS