Re: booting into fresh etch installation

Greg Folkert on 11/04/07 23:08, wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 21:05 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
Sven Arvidsson on 11/04/07 20:51, wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 20:37 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt
hda: lost interrupt

At least the error message was easy enough to remember!

I just ran netinst with the latest stable iso and all went well. Then while booting, I get this steady stream of error msgs.
This seems to be one of those hard to diagnose error messages. Google
gives lots of hits, but nothing really concrete. Make sure the disk and
the cable is okay. Checking SMART data for the drive might be a good
idea.

Curiously, I installed this etch install over the top of a lenny install, the iso for which I'd downloaded by mistake. I reformatted the drives so lenny was completely wiped, but the lenny install worked fine and there were no hard disk problems.
Weird, I don't think there's any difference between the kernel of etch
and lenny at this point?
How do I check SMART data? In fact, what is SMART data?

SMART == Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology

IOW, the hard drive keeps tabs on itself. Some implementations don't
work so well.

The only difference between the initial lenny install and the second etch install is that I choose lvm for the partitioning. I think. Could that make a difference?

What motherboard are you using? There is a a couple of obscure hitches
that may be brought out under certain conditions. "iommu" is a one of
them.

Asus N4L-VM DH

One of the things I wasn't sure about is the BIOS settings for the hard drives. It's a laptop mobo and has two baby laptop harddrives not connected by the normal harddrives cables, rather using a cable that's new to me. (It also has a SATA CD/DVDW).

There's a BIOS option "ATA/IDE Configuration" and the options are [DISABLED/COMPATIBLE/ENHANCED].

If I choose ENHANCED, then another options appears, "Configure SATA as" and the options are [IDE/RAID/AHCI]. At the moment it's set to RAID, but I'm not using RAID so I am inclined to change it, but have no idea what to change it to.

Could this be a factor in the problem above?

Regards
Adam