Re: booting into fresh etch installation

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 21:05 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Sven Arvidsson on 11/04/07 20:51, wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 20:37 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >> hda: lost interrupt
> >> hda: lost interrupt
> >> hda: lost interrupt
> >>
> >> At least the error message was easy enough to remember!
> >>
> >> I just ran netinst with the latest stable iso and all went well. Then while
> >> booting, I get this steady stream of error msgs.
> >
> > This seems to be one of those hard to diagnose error messages. Google
> > gives lots of hits, but nothing really concrete. Make sure the disk and
> > the cable is okay. Checking SMART data for the drive might be a good
> > idea.
> >
> >> Curiously, I installed this etch install over the top of a lenny install, the
> >> iso for which I'd downloaded by mistake. I reformatted the drives so lenny was
> >> completely wiped, but the lenny install worked fine and there were no hard disk
> >> problems.
> >
> > Weird, I don't think there's any difference between the kernel of etch
> > and lenny at this point?
>
> How do I check SMART data? In fact, what is SMART data?

SMART == Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology

IOW, the hard drive keeps tabs on itself. Some implementations don't
work so well.

> The only difference between the initial lenny install and the second etch
> install is that I choose lvm for the partitioning. I think. Could that make a
> difference?

What motherboard are you using? There is a a couple of obscure hitches
that may be brought out under certain conditions. "iommu" is a one of
them.

So... Motherboard Model?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net