Re: booting into fresh etch installation

Sven Arvidsson on 11/04/07 21:22, wrote:
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 21:05 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
How do I check SMART data? In fact, what is SMART data?

SMART gathers data, trying to predict disk failures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring%2C_Analysis%2C_and_Reporting_Technology

You should be able to use smartmontools to inspect the data and run
tests.
The only difference between the initial lenny install and the second etch install is that I choose lvm for the partitioning. I think. Could that make a difference?

I'm not sure, maybe you touched a bad area of the disk this time, but
that's an uneducated guess.

Hmm, there is no command line - or at least I haven't checked that yet. I did check the cables and they're ok.