Re: Console Login of kdm disappeared after upgrade to Etch

On 4/10/07, Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my> wrote:
Kent West wrote:
> When you say that you tried "kdm stop", do you mean you tried
> "/etc/init.d/kdm stop"? If not, try that. (You'll need to do so as
> super-user).

Thanks Kent, long time no hear ! - Yes, yes, I know. Alt-F2, log on, su,
etc.

I just wanted to make sure the kdm init script is working as I would expect it to. So, your reply implies that you've done this and it works. Good.

(You can also do this from within a terminal window within X.)

No, I was
1. hoping for a way to get Console Login back

I suspect that console login has been inactivated in the kdmrc file (/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, I think -- I'm not at a KDE-enabled box at the moment). Browse through that file and I bet you can find some option to enable/disable console login.

2. trying to understand, what 'kdm stop' does. It does:
# kdm stop
#
but doesn't stop it.

I suspect the 'kdm' that is being invoked is an actual binary for kdm, rather than the start-up script. (You can see which is invoked with "which kdm".) That actual binary may not understand the parameter 'stop', whereas the init script does.

--
Kent West

Hmm; now to figure out how to get my new Google account to let me put a link into my signature ....