Re: mixing syanptic and aptitude

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 02:20:12 -0400
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
>

> > It's more powerful and can do anything that apt-get can
>
> What are the aptitude equivalents of
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs

Interesting point. Google found this:

http://p12n.org/hacks/aptitude-build-dep

> apt-get source grep

Anyway, apparently I was wrong; aptitude can't do quite everything that
apt-get can. Live and learn ...

> > , and in my experience, Synaptic's
> > GUI doesn't add much value, and you can use aptitude in interactive
> > mode.
> >

> I like synaptic's GUI much better than aptitude's ncurses interface. If I
> want to see all the packages whose names start with vim, In synaptic all I
> do is type vim. I could not find a simple way of doing this in aptitude.

What about '/' (opens the regex search bar) followed by '^vim' <enter>?

> For me, the default menu structure is too cumbersome to traverse. I am not
> trying to berate aptitude here, just highlighting some of my
> inconveniences.

I know what you mean, but it doesn't take that long to get used to, and
once you do you may like it. YMMV, of course.

Celejar