Sarge Server with Sid Client? [was Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to ...]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:45:09PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> I started with Debian shortly after Woody was released.  I remember
> being disappointed with the repeated delays of Sarge.  However, I stuck
> with it because I knew that when the release finally did come it would
> be rock solid.  I currently have around a dozen servers in production
> running Sarge doing things from serving LTSP, mail servers, web servers,
> file servers, LDAP servers, etc.

[Probably a silly question, but its something that I've been thinking
about]

Is there any problems running clients on Sid, but having your servers
running stable? An example which springs to mind would be postgreSQL
where the Sarge version is 7.x and Sid's client is
postgresql-client-8.1.

I am guessing that you can't use the postgresql-client-8.1, i.e. psql,
but would have to use ODBC or something similar.

Do you have to worry about which versions of software your users are
installing to access your servers, or, do you control all of that.

AIUI, its normally just the protocol version, e.g. HTTP for web servers
etc, that you have to worry about but is it always that simple for all
your server apps.

Can you point me to the path of enlightenment?
Or even a good book. :-)

--
Chris.
======