Re: Sarge Server with Sid Client? [was Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to ...]

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 11:49:35AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> [Probably a silly question, but its something that I've been thinking
> about]
>
> Is there any problems running clients on Sid, but having your servers
> running stable? An example which springs to mind would be postgreSQL
> where the Sarge version is 7.x and Sid's client is
> postgresql-client-8.1.
>
> I am guessing that you can't use the postgresql-client-8.1, i.e. psql,
> but would have to use ODBC or something similar.
>
> Do you have to worry about which versions of software your users are
> installing to access your servers, or, do you control all of that.
>
> AIUI, its normally just the protocol version, e.g. HTTP for web servers
> etc, that you have to worry about but is it always that simple for all
> your server apps.
>
> Can you point me to the path of enlightenment?
> Or even a good book. :-)

The answer is (as it is at many other times) "it depends."

I don't recall off the top of my head, but the psql client might well be
able to speak to the older version of the server.  In reality, the
client is just communicating using SQL (plus some meta commands), so
unless there has been some sort of non-compatible language change, you
are probably OK.

For other programs, it just depends.  However, I would wager that most
things that are network capable can either deal with different versions
of applications connecting together or have some sort of compatibility
(like NFS, which allows you to enable versions 2, 3 and 4 support for
clients).

Regards,

-Roberto
--