(Solved) Re: sendmail hostname configured as an empty string

Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Jeff D wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 09:53:57AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

Not my choice. I'm setting this up for someone else who has hard-coded sendmail into his apps and is afraid that using exim4 instead of sendmail will break them. I tried to get him to use exim4 but he wasn't about to change his mind.

Are you aware that because of this (people hard coding to sendmail) that
both Exim and Postfix provide a /usr/sbin/sendmail (or was is
/usr/lib/sendmail) binary that is perfectly compatible (at the
command-line option level) with sendmail?

I have used apps that were hard coded to use sendmail with postfix over
the past few years and never once encountered a problem.

Regards,

-Roberto

How many times do I have to tell you this is not my decision to make? If it was up to my I'd use Exim4. I've used it successfully in the past with applications that specifically called for sendmail, but the person I'm doing the for has required me to use sendmail. Think I'd be knocking my head against the wall when there is something much easier to use if I had a choice? Anyway, thanks for nothing.

it goes in sendmail.mc

---
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.

Thank you.  That's what I figured, but was unsure.

Well, the define confDOMAIN_Name addition to sendmail.mc didn't fix the problem. What I finally chased this down to was a problem with HOSTSTATUSDIRECTORY=path. The host_status file was missing from the /var/lib/sendmail directory. I "touched" the file, changed the permissions so both root and the smmsp group had rw permissions, ran sendmailconfig, and the problem with having an undefined host name was gone.