4 GB Compact Flash as HD - DMA problems

Hi all.
I'm trying to use a 4 GB Compact Flash as Hard Disk in my mini-itx.
Until now i used  a laptop 2.5" HD with no problem.

But, after a LONG net installation (access to CF is slower than normal hd), i had errors like this:

localhost kernel: hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
localhost kernel: hda: error waiting for DMA
localhost kernel: hda: dma timeout retry: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
localhost kernel:
localhost kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
localhost kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError}

that freeze my mini-itx.
I have found some threads in other forums (also quite old), that suggest to try changing IDE cable, or uprading kernel, or patching kernel (there was a patch for kernel 2.4.20 related to ide dma compact flash).
But:
- i try changing ide cable (that was the same used with the laptop hd) - with no results;
- my installation is a Debian Sarge 3.1 (stable with kernel 2.6.8-3).

System boots only adding to kernel parameters in grub :
"ide=nodma".

Ok, in this way system start, but i'd like to understand why i have this problem (it's hw problem? it's sw problem?...) and if it could be fixed.
I think also dma is a good "feature" especially in a system like mini-itx that has slow processor .
Anyone can help me?

Thanks!