sendmail hostname configured as an empty string

I see this has been asked before, but being the total sendmail newbie that I am, and that Debian uses sendmailconfig to configure sendmail I am not quite sure as to how to proceed.

It appears that the confDOMAIN_NAME variable is the M4 variable to set to configure sendmail if it cannot figure out what the host name is. There are only two .mc files in /etc/mail: submit.mc and sendmail.mc. In which .mc file do I place this variable so sendmailconfig will use this variable correctly?
TIA