Re: Removing KDE messed up the network

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:07:06 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:32:29 +0100 Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The fact that your working network connection was broken by installing
> > and then removing avahi-daemon, on the other hand, sounds like a real
> > bug. (But it is probably not a bug of aptitude.)
>
> If aptitude removed a package because it conflicted with avahi-daemon
> or a dependency thereof, would it then restore that package upon
> removal of avahi-daemon? If not, I would consider it a bug.

To my knowledge, aptitude does not do that. I never saw anything like a
"removed due to conflict" flag for not-installed packages. I think the
package dependencies are supposed to take care of the problem which you
pointed out: If package A kicks package B off the system then A
(hopefully) will provide equivalent functionality, or your system is
broken right away without further actions of aptitude. In that case I
would expect that the same dependencies which initially put B on your
system will now keep A installed until it is really not needed anymore.
Maybe there should be a mechanism to ensure that, if B was installed
manually, A inherits this property even if it was installed
automatically to satisfy a dependency. I don't really know if this makes
sense within the Debian policy framework, though. (I have been meaning
to read this documentation for a long time, but I never managed to do so
up to now.)

--
Regards,
          Florian