Re: Removing KDE messed up the network

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 08:17:05PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> After trying KDE for a couple of days...I decided it wasn't for me.
>
> Sudo aptitude purge kde-desktop.
>
> Results: Network is screwed as that process also removed
> avahi-daemon. Now booting up Etch results in a bunch of error
> messages, and no network. Unless I can figure out exactly what went
> on, and a way to get it back together in one piece without net
> access (other than thru Dapper on this partition), it looks like a
> complete re-install is in the works.
>
> I'd also like to know why removing kde-desktop resulted in removing
> a seemingly essential part of the network.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried reinstalling avahi-daemon? And what kind of errors are
you getting exactly?

What were you using the connect to the network? Was it wireless or
wired? Were you using knetworkmanager, or anything else of the like?
Have you tried ifup/ifdown?

Just a bit more information would be helpful, I can't think of
anything that removing KDE could do unless you rely on knetworkmanager
or avahi-daemon to connect.