Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 06:36:01 -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:48:13PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:11:07 -0400
> > Carl Fink wrote:
> >
> > > I just can't handle the absurdly-long release cycle any more.
> >
> > I'm not sure a release cycle is strictly necessary -- theoretically,
> > one can just stay on the testing track ad infinitum; at least there
> > is a reasonable buffer between it and staying on the 'sid' track.
> >

> The only problem with that is that people tend to get aggravated when
> they testing and Sid freeze, because they feel that they're waiting
> for months for new packages to come into their version. I don't mind
> myself, but I understand where others are coming from.

Newer versions of packages which are blocked from entering Sid due to
the current Etch freeze are available in Experimental. At the moment
that includes Xorg 7.2, KDE 3.5.6, Gnome 2.16 and Openoffice.org
2.1/2.2. As far as I can tell these are just as usable as normal Sid
packages. (I have no experience with the Gnome 2.16 packages, though.)

There is no guarantee for security support, of course, but that is the
same for Sid.

--
Regards,
          Florian