Re: Installation advice needed for a really stable desktop machine

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 03:25:16 -0700 (PDT)
Land Haj <landhaj@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been using sid for amd64 on my production machine since before
> it became an official debian port, but for the next few years I will
> have 0 time for fixing stuff that might break, and so I'm gonna use
> stable instead, starting with etch. Ideally I should make the move in
> the next few days, and I would very much appreciate some advice:
>
> * If I install testing today and change apt sources to stable when
> etch is done (and do 'aptitude dist-upgrade'), will I have the same
> installation as I would have if I had waited to do a clean stable
> install?

Just change the apt sources to 'etch' (if the installer doesn't do
it for you). Then you will have testing now and stable after etch is
released, without having to change anything.

But there is another possibility you should consider. Rather than
reinstalling, you could change your apt sources right now, run 'apt-get
update' (or the aptitude equivalent), and install apt-show-versions.
Then run the following command:

    apt-show-versions | grep -v /etch | sort

How many of your installed packages differ from those it etch? Can you
not remove them, then install them again from the etch repository?

[...]

> Please help!
>
> /landhaj

> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.