Re: Xserver/KDE problem?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:52:24PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:45:34AM +0100, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> >> hello
> >>
> >> After two years of Debianizing I decided to move to Sid. Upgrade went OK
> >> and everything worked well until I installed kdeutils.
> >> Since then I cannot start Xserver/KDE as a user. It doesn't work with
> >> KDM or startx.
> >> I can run Xserver/KDE as a root though.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what went wrong or can point me to some direction of
> >> where to search for solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mitja
> >>

> > Users can't start an X server, only root can as far as I know.`
> >

> Wrong.  That would be a huge security hole.  Users can't start xdm, but
> they can startx (if things are properly configured).  Running X as root
> is a bad idea.

Ah, excuse my nubishness again. Like I've said in the past I'm pretty
new to Debian so I may be wrong on a few points (Maybe I should put
that in my signature?).

Anyway, OP, why don't you start KDM at boot time unless you really
need a full screen terminal or don't want KDM starting for some reason
(I'm just making a suggestion, not asking you to change your ways)