Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Joe Hart wrote:
> Exactly.  So, if you want to keep your software current and run Ubuntu,
> then you need to reinstall the operating system every six months.

    Er, no.  I just upgraded from Edgy to Feisty, no problems other than the
one *I* created for myself that would have hit Debian just as hard.

> you run Debian Stable, it will be every few years and you won't get the
> lastest versions, but you don't have to reinstall anything.  The
> dist-upgrade will work.

    Oddly enough dist-upgrade never worked for me on Debian and largely never
gets used because I can't stand being on software so old.

> However, run Testing and you'll get semi up to date packages and
> stability (most of the time) but you don't get security patches.

    Your information is so wrong it's not funny.  You do realize the security
team has been providing security patches for test for quite a while now?

> Run Sid and you get up-to-date packages and stability (most of the time)
> and you get security patches.  If you're adept enough at running Debian
> Sid, you don't need Ubuntu for anything.  Your chances of your system
> breaking in both the latest Ubuntu and Sid are just as likely, but Sid
> gets fixed quickly.  It also evolves, so there is no reason ever to
> re-install.  This of course applies to desktop machines.

    Other than the fact that after a decade of Debian I'm tired of the
roll-everything-yourself.  You know what, after installing my ATI drivers
several times while testing Cedega do you know how nice it was to have a
distribution figure out "Hey, maybe people don't want to go through a 2 hour
process to install drivers that takes them 5 minutes to download *and* install
on Windows!"  Mepis was a joy compared to Debian and damned if it wasn't based
on Debian.  Ubuntu's not as direct as Mepis but it gets the job done.  On my
desktop that's all I want not.

    I've proven I can make install on Slackware.  I've proven I can fight with
my desktop to get basic stuff to work with Debian.  The point of computers is
to do the menial tasks for me.  Installation is menial.

> I still don't get why we're talking about Ubuntu here.

    Because Ubuntu represents something that is lacking in the Debian
community and distribution as a whole.  There would be no Ubuntu if Debian
addressed that which is lacking.