BellSouth DSL with Static IP

A friend recently got BellSouth DSL with 5 Static IP addresses. The router is a Netopia 3347.

We are seeing web pages that state that BellSouth's DSL requires PPPoE installed in Linux verses being configured in the Netopia device.

Does anyone have a clue how to configure the Debian Sarge PPPoE client to use a specific IP address?

Around here, Static IP DSL packages come with a Netopia router, but the Netopia router acts as the PPPoE end point. We can simply enter the Static IP address into the interfaces file. So, would appreciate and hints / reports / otherwise about what in the world BellSouth has done.

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems