Re: BellSouth DSL with Static IP

* Michael Lueck <mlueck@lueckdatasystems.com> [070317 17:35]:
> A friend recently got BellSouth DSL with 5 Static IP addresses. The router
> is a Netopia 3347.
>
> We are seeing web pages that state that BellSouth's DSL requires PPPoE
> installed in Linux verses being configured in the Netopia device.

The two or three times I have had an account with Bell PPPoE, I let my
firewall/router (SmoothWall Express 2.0) handle PPPoE.  This allowed
me to use interchangeably any of the three or four ADSL modems I have
accumulated over the years.

An added bonus is that, whenever DSL service went down, it took only a
few minutes to reconfigure SmoothWall for dial-up, and the LAN never
is aware of the switch from ADSL to dial-up.