Re: BellSouth DSL with Static IP

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Michael Lueck wrote:

We are seeing web pages that state that BellSouth's DSL requires PPPoE installed in Linux verses being configured in the Netopia device.

When I had BellSouth service, I completely ignored their instructions
(and required windows only install CD) and set my netopia up for PPPoE -
and it just worked.  The only issue was having to call tech support and
have them assign me a uid/pwd (because I couldn't use the windows cd) :(

I lied and said the CD arrived broken, and I needed the service up asap.

Does anyone have a clue how to configure the Debian Sarge PPPoE client to use a specific IP address?

In the ppp options files, you can force a static IP, but inmnsho, you're
far better off to do pppoe in the modem and let the modem serve DHCP for
the lan behind it.

If you do setup pppoe on a box behind the modem, you're going to limit
yourself to one computer (or you'll have to make the linux box a
router).

BellSouth, back when I used them, did not like a network being attached
- they wanted to charge per box and provide their own equipment.

--
Rick Nelson
(I tried to get some documentation out of Digital on this, but as far as