Re: Wine

On 3/16/07, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

<snip>

> So, to sum it up, the reason that some upstream developers provide
> Ubuntu but not Debian packages is because they either don't know about
> tools like pbuilder or are just lazy.

I fully agree.  Now we just need to convince Mr. Richie of that.  His
e-mail address is:  mailto:scott@open-vote.org

I don't think we'll get very far, and I am not the one to do it, since I
am not experienced enough with properly building Debian packages that I
can engage in a technical discussion about it.

I misquoted the first time, it doesn't say the package has changed, it
said Debian changed.

Actually, I am using the wine debs for Dapper right now, on Etch.
They install fine and Wine seems to work correctly.

And to get back to the original question:
hi, i've been reading about wine (cedega and cxOffice also) the question
is, which of those packages is better, and why (im interested basicly in
some windows games)

Transgaming's commitment to Open Source has been questioned,
and in any case, Wine is getting so good that I no longer see the need
to use Cedega, even for games. However, my gaming needs are fairly
minor, mostly StarCraft and Civilization III. I would suggest trying your
games with Wine and then trying Cedega if needed.

also, id like to know the difference between wine from debian and wine
from wineHQ ....

The Wine packages in Debian testing are somewhat older than the
WineHQ release and Wine packages in Debian stable are not updated
and end up very out of date.

If you can use the provided Ubuntu debs you will be up to date with the
current Wine release.

Cheers,
Kelly