Re: Sirius radio streaming?

On Thursday 15 March 2007 21:39, charlie derr wrote:
> <snippage>
>
> >> I'm thinking now that
> >> the file associations are maintained in the KDE control center.  Does
> >> that sound right? (obviously I use KDE on my desktop)
> >>
> >>     ~c
> >
> > It seems strange to me that if you use KDE you'd even have totem.
>
> I don't "only" use KDE, I have a lot of other stuff installed (I almost
> never login directly to gnome, but sometimes I'll use openbox instead of
> KDE (especially when my main purpose is to run vmware to get at a virtual
> machine)).  So I'm not at all surprised that totem is there (it works well
> for a surprising number of things, but not quite everything it thinks it
> ought to work for).
>
> > Yes,
> > KDE holds file associations in the control center, but Iceweasel handles
> > them too.  You need to tell Iceweasel how to handle the file.  Edit ->
> > Preferences, Content tab, Manage button.
>
> I don't know if there's a bug here or not, but I can't figure out how to
> actually add a new file association with that interface (modify and delete
> seem to be the only options available).   Probably there's some preferences
> file (xml?) somewhere that could be edited directly in my .mozilla/firefox
> directory to fix this.  But it does seem that there ought to be a GUI
> option for adding a new file association.  In poking around, I see a
> pluginreg.dat file that looks like it's probably the ticket, but at the top
> there's a warning not to edit it, as it's a generated file.  Anyone got any
> clues on this?
>
> > If you have mplayer, you can dump totem because mplayer can play
> > anything that totem can.  You might want to look into kaffeine as well.
> >  That is a popular media player for KDE, as well as kmplayer, which is a
> > kde front-end to mplayer.
>
> Yeah, I installed kmplayer, but konqueror won't even get the www.sirius.com
> homepage to load properly (perhaps because of flash?).

Hi. I've just been to the homepage from FC2 with Konqueror (Debians on the
other machine), and the page has loaded ok. I don't have Kmplayer installed,
but accessing the page using Firefox, and signing up for the freebie 3 day
trial I'm receiving some music. I'm on dialup so it keeps dropping out (lack
of bandwidth) , but I'm hearing the sounds. The only Internet radio I can
receive using Konqueror is from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 using the
realplayer plugin.

> > Oh, the choices...how does one know which app is best for each task?
> > Recommendations from others (including myself) are only so good.  The
> > best method is to try for yourself and pick your favorite.
>
> Yeah, thanks very much for the suggestions.  I'm still a little baffled
> about how much of a grip totem seems to have on my media files.  In the KDE
> control center I've modified the file associations so that mplayer is at
> the top of the list of applications for opening .asx files, and yet
> iceweasel still continues to try to use totem.

Personally, and I mean personally I'd get rid of Totem, and use Mplayer. You
need to have the w32codecs package installed for it as well, but it seems to
work ok.

>  thanks again,
>   ~c
>
> > Joe