Re: Sirius radio streaming?

charlie derr wrote:
>> At the very end of the process (after signing in with my
>> username/password to the applet in either iceweasel or epiphany), I
>> get the following error from totem:
>>
>> Totem could not play
>> 'mmsh://a1518.I2280061804.c22800.g.lm.akamaistream.net/<incredibly_long_url_truncated>.asx'.
>>

>> Any clues on how I would get totem to play this apparent .asx file?
>> Is there a different application that would work better?  I assume
>> there's lots of ugliness involving non-free codecs or some such, but I
>> just wondered if anyone else had this working and could give some hints.
>>
>> I'm running sid.
>>
>>     thanks so much in advance,
>>             ~c
>

> Answering my own question (obviously should have googled *first*), I've
> now installed mplayer and run the script to get the non-free components,
> so I think I'm close.  The final hurdle seems to be getting totem to let
> go of the association to .asx files.  Installing mozilla-mplayer
> interestingly didn't pry totem away in iceweasel.  I'm thinking now that
> the file associations are maintained in the KDE control center.  Does
> that sound right? (obviously I use KDE on my desktop)
>
>     ~c

It seems strange to me that if you use KDE you'd even have totem.  Yes,
KDE holds file associations in the control center, but Iceweasel handles
them too.  You need to tell Iceweasel how to handle the file.  Edit ->
Preferences, Content tab, Manage button.

If you have mplayer, you can dump totem because mplayer can play
anything that totem can.  You might want to look into kaffeine as well.
 That is a popular media player for KDE, as well as kmplayer, which is a
kde front-end to mplayer.

Oh, the choices...how does one know which app is best for each task?
Recommendations from others (including myself) are only so good.  The
best method is to try for yourself and pick your favorite.

Joe

- --