Re: Bug in acroread?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 07:39:09PM +0100, Joe Hart wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Joe Hart wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >> <context>
> >>  Noone is forcing you to use pdf files
> >> </context>
> >> I disagree about it being forced on us.  Many documents on the web are
> >> PDF format.  Most hardware comes without manuals and the documents are
> >> pdf files.
> >
> > You have an odd definition for the word "force".
> >

> If I want to read the manual I have to have a way to view pdf files,
> thus that is force by my definition.  Perhaps not in the true since of
> the word since to don't _have_ to read manuals, it's just that I am one
> of the type of people who do.  I RTFM and STFW so I don't ask stupid
> questions.  I wish more people did.

For documents on the web I have this inelegant and heinous trick: I
google for them. If a doc is in PDF format, Google will give you the
option to view it as HTML. The converted version is not always pretty,
but more often than not sufficient to get the information I need.
Obviously doesn't work all the time, but it has helped me out
occasionally.

 $0.02,
  --j