Repartitioning, difficult and easy.

Since some of my linux partitions were getting full up, I had to change things
around. The linux drive is no longer editable with parted, et al, because of
"overlapping cylinder boundaries" which somehow got in there (this was all
legal-steven when I set it up). I had loads of room on my windows disk so a
defragged the two partitions and cranked up partitionmagic. Set up a few new
partitons and hit "apply". Rebooted to DOS and failed (I payed good money for
that program which used to work just fine).

So after a few tries with PM, back to Debian. Cranked up parted (I have never
succeded with the qt version) and did it there, manually. Worked like a
charm. Rebooted first into windows which, yes, still booted up fine. Then the
linux so that the new /dev/hd* entries would be valid. Made file systems on
them, set one as a second drive swap. Now to use them.

Did a lot of cp -a. Edited /etc/fstab and after fixing one typo, all works!
This, without having to reach once for that knoppix CD. A bit scary but with
a bit of care and missed heartbeats, not at all that bad. However, there must
be a better way.

LVM comes to mind. Unfortunately, there is no clean way to switch over to it.
Unionfs seems like a very eligant way of simply overlaying directories on
multiple partitions. However, unionfs is not packaged with the kernels and it
seems after each kernel upgrade, it will not compile until it is itself
upgraded. So this is not a practical alternative using Sid.