Re: Graphical bittorrent clients in etch

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:33:16 -0800
Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

[snip]

>     So recently I decided to see what else was out there when the Ubuntu lists
> had a similar question about clients.  I went back to G3Torrent which, in its
> day, was a feature equivalent of Azureus but written in Python.  I couldn't
> find the Linux version but did find a branch (also 2 years old) called Rufus
> which did run on Linux.  Rufus on the same 2 torrents took up a grand total of
> 30Mb.
>
>     It was old though and I wanted something a tad more modern.
> Deluge-torrent didn't work for me as I ran into the one and only show-stopper
> bug it has.  It doesn't even start now.  *sigh*
>
>     So then I decided to think outside the linux box.  I nabbed a copy of
> uTorrent as it is a close feature set to Azureus just written in C for
> Windows.  Wine + uTorrent on the same 2 torrents... 10Mb.
>
>     Now for the part that really kicks Java's head in.  Azureus at nice 0
> would punch my box up to a load of 2.  1 for it and 1 for X keeping up with
> its updates.  I set it to nice 5 and I get the load down to 1 and a
> semi-responsive box.
>
>     Rufus in Python (wxWidgets as its GUI set)...  load of mayyyybe 0.1 at nice 0.
>
>     Wine + uTorrent...  load of 0.01.
>
>     I don't believe Azureus is poorly written because all the Java apps I have
> tried have the same metrics.  Tons of RAM and CPU usage, vastly more than
> Python which is almost as ubiquitous.
>
>     Anyway, the point of this long message is that if anyone else is reading
> and not liking the prospect of Azureus, give uTorrent + Wine a try.  Maybe
> someone will pick up Rufus and run with it as it is on Sourceforge.  It's way
> above my level of Python-fu or I'd give it a shot.  But wine + utorrent = 200x
> less CPU usage and 30x less RAM usage.  That's not chump change for people
> with smaller boxes.  :)

I rather like rtorrent; I don't know what features you need, but it
seems to work well and seems to generate very little load.

Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator