Re: vim like completion in bash?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:23:59PM EST, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > FTR, works here in bog standard bash running in aterm.
>
>     *sigh*  My point is that if the OP is unable to do what they want telling
> him *you* can do it without specifying what options might be needed to bring
> them in line with your configuration.  Barring that asking questions on what
> might be different between your configuration and his would at least provide
> some forward movement.  "Works here!" is pretty much the AOL answer.

.. with all due respect, so is "works with zsh."

Still, as long as the conversation doesn't stop there, both answers have
their usefulness.

It's always nice to know that something can be done, has been done
before .. etc.  so at least you know that you are not alone and wasting
your time researching the problem.

When for instance, I found out from folks who were not initially
forthcoming where details are concerned .. that I could run the linux
framebuffer console at 1400x1050 with an ATI mach64, I knew it was only
a matter of time before I could get it to work on my machine .. same
with dri in X .. 12pt fonts on the console .. etc.

If the OP still wants to make bash behave the same as mine -- among
others .. I suppose that for comparison purposes, it might help if he
could provide the following information:

. system he is running (woody, sarge, etch ..)
. binary or compiled from source (*)
. bash release
. output of the "shopt" command
. output of the "set" command
. contents of ~/.bashrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile
. contents of /etc/bash.bashrc, /etc/profile

Someone or other on the list may be able to spot something useful.

(*) .. there might be compile-time options that are relevant to TAB
completion.. who knows..

Thanks,
cga