Re: OT: Politics and other non-Debian ramblings [Was:a dumb query? pls humor me]

Steve Lamb wrote:
Freddy Freeloader wrote:
treatment of them was born out of racism, not the fact that we are an
imperialistic society, because racism comes from human nature, not
politics.

    I dunno, most examples of modern day racism comes from politics.

Methinks you're looking at things backwards. Hitler used the existing anti-Semitism to appeal to the baser instincts of the German people. He gave them a common "enemy" they could all hate on a political level. He didn't create anti-Semitism, he manipulated people through what was already existing in them. The same goes for Indians in North America. "We", the whites, thought we were superior to the "savages" so we excused our political policies on that basis. Politics didn't create the feeling of superiority, it exploited existing racism.