Re: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 04:42:04PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:55:39PM -0500, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> > On  2 Mar, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > >>
> > > Here is a list of cities to which I have travelled that attempted to
> > > put public transportation in place which still have massivley
> > > attrocious traffic problems (hint: that is an indicator that enough
> > > people use the public transportation systems):
> > >
> > > Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Miami, Orlando,
> > > Tampa, Jacksonville (though they have improved more than most),
> > > Atlanta
> > >

> >      I asked for statistics, not personal experience/opinion.
> > Specifically, to back up the claim "pretty much every metro area"
> > that has tried public transportation has not really improved things
> > despite large expense.  Your anecdotal impressions do not answer the
> > question.
> >

> OK.  I'll give you two stats [0].  NYC and Chicago.
>
> NYC:
> population: 18,498,000 (urban area)
> passenger trips: 2,655,645,300 (unlinked, so transfering counts the trip
> one for each transfer)
> average: 143.5 trips per person per year (0.57 per day assuming 250
> working days)

just to put it out there, another way to look at that stat:

assuming 2 trips per work day for commuting, that is 1,327,822,650
work round trips per year or 5,311,291 man/years of work commuting or
28% of commutes. Obviously there are huge assumptions (including the
idea that all 18million people commute to work). No matter how you
slice it, though, it is actually a significant portion of the regional
transportation. Whether that is a "success" or not is debatable, but
I think you'd have to agree that putting that many trips back onto the
highways and surface streets would be a problem.