Re: Bio-Based Fuels (OT: a dumb query? pls humor me)

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 16:22 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Bio-fuels *are* a great idea.
>
> Until you realize *how much* gasoline & diesel this country uses
> (then add 3x more to that for the rest of the world), and the fact
> that stuff like corn ethanol needs lots of (*petrolem* based)
> fertilizer.
>
> (However, sugar cane ethanol in Brazil is a *great* idea, because of
> cane's higher sugar density, Brazil's proximity to the equator and
> lower population).

Based on things I have researched and processing systems I have seen and
actually went through the motions of getting the nitty-gritty on.

Algae based Bio-Diesel. 110,000 square miles of "useless desert" flooded
with salt water and seeded with a certain algae... would supply enough
Biofuel for all vehicles (provided all current vehicles were converted
to diesel) in the US with about a 25% energy return on energy used to
process it and transport to filling centers.

There is a lot more to it, about 8,000 pages to read and wrap your head
around. Then you get to the business models based on it. I'd need some
OTHER person able to really grab the business model.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup