Re: OT: a dumb query? pls humor me

Paul Johnson wrote:
Michael Pobega wrote:

$4 per gallon though? That's amazing. I can't believe anyone can be
allowed to change that much for gas, it's highway robbery

That's the price of a gallon of gas.  In the US, this price is largely
subsidized by military force so it's artificially low.

Hardly. Why don't you take all the taxes out of your gas prices, then you'll see the real cost of a gallon of gas where you live....

In Europe the governments take an average of 60% of every dollar spent on fuel. In Britain the government takes 75% of ever dollar spent on fuel. There's the real reason for European/Great Britain's high gas prices.... That was back in 2005 and we know taxes aren't going down....
Here's an article showing these numbers.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.html