Re: How does Cron send email?

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Grok Mogger wrote:

I have read the cron manpage. I understand what cron mails and under what conditions it mails it, what I don't understand is HOW it mails it. I know that cron just sends the output of whatever script it runs. I don't understand how it mails that output. I'd like to understand how it does that so that I can make it send email to a gmail account or a similar "real" Internet account.

Through /usr/sbin/sendmail (which you will have even if you use a mail transfer agent other than sendmail such as exim or postfix.)

Are you telling me that if I set my MAILTO entry to something like 'Joe.Person@gmail.com', that's actually going to send legitimate Internet mail to Joe at his gmail account? I find that hard to believe.

Assuming your MTA is correctly configured to send mail to the internet, sure, why not?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>