(SOLVED) Huge fonts in openoffice.org user interface

Dan H. wrote:

> So, again: Where does OO get its UI font ideas?

Still gnawing my teeth on this problem I googled again, and found this
snippet by Liam O'Toole. Ironically this had come up in the very thread
I created, but must have got buried in the many other posts on this list
(does anybody know how to automatically mark whole threads, and new
contributions to them, as "Important" in Thunderbird?). Aynway, Liam writes:

> I think OOo gets its idea of screen resolution from the X resource
> database, whereas many other applications use the X server's
> resolution.
> What is the output of the following commands?
>
>    xrdb -q | grep dpi
>    xdpyinfo | grep resolution
>
> Do the two results differ?

I tried it. Under fvwm, the first command gives no result at all, and
the second gives "85x86 dots per inch". In the gnome environment, xrdb
has a result for me (96), and xdpyinfo is still at 85x86.

I measured the actual screen resolution and it is about 86dpi. So I put
that in my .Xresources file and everything is fine.

Now of course the next interesting question is out of which hat Gnome
pulls its 96dpi idea.

Since I like to start my X sessions through $HOME/.xsession, I could put
a line or two in there that evaluates xdpyinfo and puts an appropriate
value into xrdb.

Thanks everybody for your support,

--D.